Employment & Internship Opportunities
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
The Flynn Center is searching for a full-time Director of Marketing & Communications to direct and manage the marketing, public relations, and communications programs and functions for the Flynn Center for the Performing Arts and to participate in overall organizational planning and management as a member of the management team.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Plan, implement, coordinate, monitor and evaluate Flynn Center marketing, public relations, and communications support of Flynn programs and services and in accordance with the Flynn's mission, organizational goals, and resources.
- Serve as the primary Flynn liaison with the media to encourage press coverage of performances through previews and reviews; radio programming of interviews and music by performers, as well as coverage of the Flynn's educational programs and broader institutional initiatives
- Oversee/Direct and implement Flynn website content and format and regular institutional emarketing activities
- Oversee the Flynn's social media presence, including blogs, podcasts, and social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Oversee/Direct and implement print, radio, TV, and electronic marketing for performances and monitor sales to assure goals are met
- Assist with box office implementation of ticket sales for Flynn-presented performances, including direction regarding special discounts and offers for various partners
- Oversee/Direct the development and production of Flynn Season Guide,
- Oversee/Direct the development and production of Flynn Marquee
- Develop and administer department operating budget
- Consult with and advise the Programming Department regarding programming decisions, including bookings, contractual issues, ticket pricing, and marketability.
- Strategize with Programming Department audience development strategies for further participation in Flynn programs.
- Consult on and support marketing and communications for education, including production of matinee and FlynnArts brochures, placement of advertising, and solicitation of press coverage.
- Consult on and support marketing and communications for development/institutional advancement including annual report, executive director letters, benefit event marketing, and press coverage.
- Arrange and oversee work contracted to outside printers, graphic designers, and web specialists
- Confer regularly with senior administrators and other Flynn personnel as appropriate to plan, coordinate, and evaluate programs and systems; investigate and resolve problems; and exchange information, including attendance at monthly board meetings
- Advise Burlington Discover Jazz Festival on marketing initiatives as needed
- Attend appropriate professional meetings regionally and nationally and keep abreast of new developments in the fields of the performing arts and arts marketing
- Perform related duties as necessary
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, marketing or other pertinent discipline, plus 7 to 9 years of relevant technical and management experience or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Broad base of technical journalistic knowledge and skills, including reporting, writing, editing, layout, design, printing, and photography.
- Knowledge of the internet and social media applications and their use as marketing and communications tools.
- Broad knowledge, awareness, and appreciation of the performing arts of music, theater, and dance is desirable, as is marketing and public relations experience in the arts.
- Relevant experience with direct-marketing programs and advertising and promotion via print, radio, TV, and the web.
- Sound understanding of, interest in, and enthusiasm for the mission of the Flynn Center
- Strong planning, administrative, organizational, budget management, and supervisory skills
- Previous supervisory experience desirable
- Ability to deal effectively with and represent the Flynn to a broad range of individuals within and outside of the organization
A complete application package will include:
- A cover letter detailing applicant's demonstration of qualifications as listed above, especially as it relates to experience working with a performing arts organization.
- Current resume.
- Marketing Sample: Choose one of our 2015/16 season offerings from our website and create a one-page summary of marketing angles, opportunities and/or strategies that you would implement to sell the show.
Please submit your application package by November 9, 2015 to:
Flynn Center for the Performing Arts
Human Resources Department
153 Main Street
Burlington, Vermont 05401, or
Email to: HResources@flynncenter.org
No phone calls, please. EOE
MORNING CUSTODIAN (PART-TIME)
The Flynn Center is searching for a part-time custodian to work a morning shift Mondays through Saturdays. This is a great opportunity to become part of the exciting world of performing arts at the Flynn Center!
The primary function of this position is to prepare the exterior and lobby areas of the Flynn Center for daily operation.
SOME DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Clean Main St. sidewalk in front of Flynn Center buildings. Hose down when above freezing.
- Clean exterior of windows and Main St. façade of Flynn Center buildings.
- Clean theater foyer, glass at doors and display cases.
- Clean FlynnSpace foyer and hall to elevator.
- Clean sidewalk and windows in front of 179 Church St. office.
- Clean Box Office public area.
- Clean stage door area, alley east of theatre, and area around green room door.
- Clear snow from all areas listed above and sand and salt when necessary.
- Regular Marquee changes as directed.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- High School diploma plus two years of relevant custodial experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Basic reading and writing skills.
- Ability to deal courteously with patrons, staff and others.
- Ability to work alone and perform tasks dependably.
- Physical ability to perform all essential job duties.
To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources
153 Main Street, Burlington, VT 05401
Or email to: HResources@flynncenter.org
EOE/No phone calls please.