Materials for Purchase
“…a user-friendly bridge to retain the integrity of the art forms while addressing other content area standards.”
—Dr. Jonathan Silverman, Coordinator of Arts-in-Education Graduate Program at St. Michael’s College
Words Come Alive Toolkit
In its third edition as of April 2012, the toolkit is a quick and easy resource for teachers of grades K-8, describing various tried-and-true dance and theater warm-ups and activities we've found to be effective in the classroom. The structure of each exercise is described simply on one side of each page and the other side describes variations of the same structure or focus. This design is intended to jumpstart teachers' imaginations, and encourage them to create variations of their own.
The toolkit includes 60 pages of durable cardstock, measures 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", and is bound by one ring for easy maneuvering. An invaluable resource for teachers seeking to integrate dance or theater into their curriculum, it also includes definitions of essential terms, basic guidelines for using these arts forms in the classroom and for reflecting on student work, a list of important resources and more. $15 + $5 shipping & handling.
Picture Books Come Alive! (for teachers of grades pre-K-2) lays out detailed lesson plans for specific picture books, using our tried-and-true Words Come Alive warm-ups and activities to deepen student understanding of the texts. $10 + $3 shipping & handling. Titles included are:
- The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
- The Stray Dog by Marc Simont
- When Sophie Gets Angry – Really, Really Angry… by Molly Bang
- Owen by Kevin Henkes
- McDuff Moves In by Rosemary Wells
Novels Come Alive (for teachers of grades 1-8) lays out detailed lesson plans for specific novels, using our tried-and-true Words Come Alive! warm-ups and activities that deepen student comprehension and engagement with written material. Student rubrics to track development of dance and theater skills are built-in. $10 + $3 shipping & handling. Titles included are:
- Green Mountain Hero by Edgar N. Jackson
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
- Number of the Stars by Lois Lowry
- Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
- Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- There’s An Owl in the Shower by Jean Craighead
Creating Performances (for teachers of grade 2-8) outlines the process of creating original dance, theater, or storytelling performances around curricular themes, and includes tips on logistics, casting, and directing, as well as ideas for simple costumes, stage sets, and original music. Resources include performance rubrics, blocking charts, worksheets, and sample programs. $10 + $3 shipping & handling. The performances included are:
- Beauties and Other Beasts (A play with music and dance of original variants of the French folktale set in Africa, Antarctica, and India)
- Understanding a Culture Through Storytelling (Japanese folktales)
- The Human Body (Dance about digestive, respiratory/circulatory, skeletal and nervous systems.)
- Diversity and Adversity in the 20th Century (A play looking at significant historic moments for minority ethnic groups as well as children and women.)
- The Fugitive Slave Act (A play showing reactions to this act in 1850, set in a Southern cotton plantation and a Northern cotton mill.)
Words Come Alive Notebook including a binder, the Toolkit and all three supplements costs $40 + $8 shipping & handling.
Note: Picture Books Come Alive, Novels Come Alive, and Creating Performances refer to content in the Words Come Alive toolkit. To be an effective resource, it is strongly recommended that each supplement be paired with the Words Come Alive toolkit.
All shipping and handling noted is for one book; if more books are ordered, the cost for shipping and handling is reduced accordingly. There is no charge for shipping & handling when picking up at Flynn offices.
To purchase or for more information about the Words Come Alive! publications and program , contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-652-4548 ext. 5 or 6.